Jump to Navigation

How do I file for divorce in Guilford County NC?

How do I file for divorce in Guilford County NC?

Steps for Getting an Absolute DivorceComplete the Court Forms.File Court Papers in the Clerk of Court's Office.Serve the Papers on the Defendant (your Spouse)Wait 30 days, then set date for Hearing.Go to Court with prepared Judgment for Judge's review.

How long do you have to be separated in NC to get a divorce?

one year

Does my husband have to pay the bills until we are divorced UK?

In short, there is a common law duty imposed upon spouses to support each other whilst the marriage/civil partnership exists but what many people aren't aware of is that the duty continues after separation as a result of statute. There is no automatic entitlement to spousal maintenance on divorce or dissolution.

Who pays the bills during a divorce?

Couples at the early stages of divorce often find it simplest to keep the status quo in terms of paying household bills – in other words, to continue to share bills that were typically shared, and take care of ones that one spouse usually covered alone.

Who pays the household bills during a divorce?

Follow the thumb rules when determining the household payments bills during the divorce. Pay all the bill where your name is included. Negotiate with your spouse if both of you are jointly liable for a bill. You shouldn't take on extra financial responsibilities during your separation with your spouse.

Can my spouse's debt affect me?

In community property states, you are not responsible for most of your spouse's debt incurred before marriage. However, the IRS says debt taken on by either spouse after the wedding is automatically a shared debt. Even if your spouse opens up a line of credit in their name only, you could still be liable for that debt.

How do I protect myself from my husband's debt?

Keep Things Separate Keep separate bank accounts, take out car and other loans in one name only and title property to one person or the other. Doing so limits your vulnerability to your spouse's creditors, who can only take items that belong solely to her or her share in jointly owned property.

For sound counsel on custody, support and property division goals, during your divorce — and post-decree modifications or parental relocations after it — lawyer Susan J. Ellender works with you toward practical, lasting solutions. After 10 plus years of service to her clients, her approach is an assertive, experienced one.

Learn More

Susan J Ellender
Denver, Little Rock
2285 Cedar Street
Denver, CO 80232
Phone: 870-810-7488
Toll Free: 916-812-8931
Map and Directions

Social Media
Visa, MasterCard and Discover accepted Credit Card Logos