Jump to Navigation

How do you file for divorce in Colorado?

How do you file for divorce in Colorado?

As the petitioner, to initiate the divorce you must go to your local courthouse (the courthouse located in the county where you or your spouse reside). At a minimum, you'll need to file the case information sheet, summons, and petition to begin your case. You'll also need to pay a filing fee.

What is the minimum child support in Colorado?

7)(a)(II)(D) provides for a minimum support obligation applies unless both parents have at least 93 overnights. The monthly obligation is: $50 for 1 child. $70 for 2 children.

How can I get full custody of my child in Colorado?

Sole Custody Does Not Exist Under Colorado Law Except in cases involving domestic abuse or other extenuating circumstances, the law is designed to keep both parents involved in the child's upbringing.

Is Colorado a 50/50 child custody State?

50/50 Joint Custody The court may approve a different joint custody arrangement on a case-by-case basis, but as long as the parents qualify for physical custody and can spend an equal amount of time with their children, the custody agreement must be 50/50.

At what age can a child choose which parent to live with in Colorado?

At What Age Can a Child Decide Which Parent To Live With in Colorado? The judge ruling upon your divorce case will take your child's wishes into account when determining custody. A child between the ages of 12-14 will be given the opportunity to state which parent they would prefer to live with primarily.

How much does it cost to file for custody in Colorado?

In Colorado, the term “child custody” is now legally called “allocation of parental responsibilities”. Filing fee: $222. Registration: Child Custody Determination.

How long do custody battles usually last?

If you have a legitimate custody or parenting time dispute, it is important to take stock of exactly what you are fighting about. These disputes can easily take six months to a year of your life and cost your family (meaning both parents together) over $100,000.

For sound counsel on custody, support and property division goals, during your divorce — and post-decree modifications or parental relocations after it — lawyer Susan J. Ellender works with you toward practical, lasting solutions. After 10 plus years of service to her clients, her approach is an assertive, experienced one.

Learn More

Susan J Ellender
Denver, Little Rock
2285 Cedar Street
Denver, CO 80232
Phone: 870-810-7488
Toll Free: 916-812-8931
Map and Directions

Social Media
Visa, MasterCard and Discover accepted Credit Card Logos